Bishop (Jim Lee)
Hello everyone. Thanks for stopping by to see my newest reveal. This one was a lot of fun to put together and was also my first custom completed using my new airbrush. Please welcome to the collection, Bishop!
Bishop was made using the new Captain Britain figure as a base. I swapped out the lower arms for Sentry's and stole the hands from Nuke. The head is a cast of the SDCC Luke Cage head (thanks Casting Cave!) and the accessories came from multiple figures. The shoulder harness' came from the Walgreen's Punisher, the bandana, hair piece, leg holster and gun come from the orginal TB Bishop figure (keep in mind all of those pieces needed to be HEAVILY modified in order to work with this new figure). The other gun comes from the latest Cable figure and the belt was purchased from Casting Cave.
Usually, I aim to make all my customs as close to source material as possible. However, with Bishop, I decided to work with what I had in my fodder box. Instead of sculpting the belt and shoulder harnesses, I utilized what I had. So although it is not perfectly source accurate to Bishop's Jim Lee dud's, it feel its close enough for me to be satisfied with it.
In regards to sculpting, Bishop here was pretty light in that category. I sculpted the rolled up shirt sleeves, the glove cuffs, filled in the peg holes and sculpted some wrinkles into his clothing so it didnt look like he was wearing spandex. I also sculpted the strap for the leg holster.
My favourite part of this figure is the head. I sculpted the goatee and heavily modified the hair piece from the original Bishop Toybiz figure. When I originally put the hairpiece on to see how it would look, I was concerned I would not be able to use it due to how oversized it looked. But after some modification, I was able to get it to sit properly on his noggin, and then I sculpted the front of the hair. I was trying to make it look more mullet like and in the end, I was pretty satisfied with how close I got it. He originally had a couple little loose hairs hanging over his forehead but a shelf dive took care of those for me. :(
As I mentioned prior, this is the first figure I had the opportunity to try out my new airbrush on. At first, I really disliked using it if i'm being honest. I felt like I did not have control over the flow of paint and I was getting frustrated trying to find the best viscosity for the watered down paints. But thanks to some assistance from a few of the fine folks over at the Fwoosh forums, I was able to sort it all out and make it work for me. All things considered, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I feel like my layering of colors kinda got burried due to my heavy trigger finger, but I hope to improve on that with a bit more practice.
Overall, I am super happy with how Bishop turned out. He makes a great addition to my X-Men shelf and I am happy to be able to update my X roster with another staple to the team. Please check back in another week or so where I’ll be revealing ANOTHER movie figure. Thanks to everyone who checks out my work on the regular. Feel free to leave some feedback in the comments below. Cheers!